Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Visit From The Alaskans



My college roommate and her husband visited this week from Alaska. They are two of the coolest people I know, and we had a lovely time hanging out with them. Monday night, we went to El Vaquero to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Oddly, I ran into a former hockey teammate coming out of a bathroom stall there, and we had a loud, margarita-induced reunion in the bathroom.

Tuesday night, we went to the Surly Girl for dinner. On our way there, we were stopped by a local news lady who asked if we had a cell phone. I was ready to offer mine, when she started interviewing us about some bug that people can download onto your cell phone in order to track your activities. It was rather confusing, and frankly, my activities are not interesting enough for anyone to bother tracking. Anyway, it's all voluntarily divulged on Twitter if anyone really cares. I think she was looking for a more sensational reaction than we gave her. Rob made the cut though, and had his 10 seconds of fame on the 11 o'clock news.

After dinner, we walked by The Lodge Bar so my friend could pick up her credit card that she'd left the night before. There was a private party going on at the bar. As we waited for the bouncer to bring the credit card, a bus pulled up with about twenty party-goers. Some of the guys were dressed up as jocks and geeks. The girls were wearing tank tops with the nipples cut out so their bras showed through. What kind of theme party was it? I'm still not sure. Let me know if you figure it out.

Our friends' brief visit made me wish that they lived in town so we could hang out more often. Although, Alaska is one of my favorite places to visit, and they are excellent tour guides.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reunion photo! Looks like a very happy moment in time.

L said...

Aww! I miss hanging out with you guys too.