Monday, August 18, 2008

Incestral Ancestors

So I happened to hear part of an interview with some bluegrass singer talking about his ancestors in the mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee. Only instead of ancestors, it sounded like he said incestors. Hmmm...

Coincidentally, I just finished reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. There's a chapter in the book about genetics.
You couldn't be here without a little incest-actually quite a lot of incest-albeit at a genetically discreet remove. With so many millions of ancestors in your background, there will have been many occasions when a relative from your mother's side of the family procreated with some distant cousin from your father's side of the ledger. In fact, if you are in a partnership now with someone from your own race and country, the chances are excellent that you are at some level related.
Therefore, our ancestors were all incestors to some degree. Although I guess chances are slim that Rob and I are related.

No comments: