Thursday, June 5, 2008

California, Here We Come

Rob and I leave tomorrow morning for a week long vacation in California. We are spending a few days in San Francisco, then driving north along Highway 1 to see the redwood forests. After a night in Ferndale, we are heading to Mount Shasta. There, we will meet up with two of our friends and attempt to climb Mount Shasta.

Our friend convinced us to climb Mount Shasta with him, which is the main reason we're going to California. The climb was initially described to me as a hike up a mountain. It's supposedly a good mountain for beginners. After all, it's only 14,162 feet high as opposed to Everest which is 29,035 feet high. Then I found out that we have to spend one night at base camp to acclimate, and wake up at 3 AM to summit. And we have to carry an ice axe! I'm not even sure what to do with one. And I thought trudging through the foot of snow in downtown Columbus this winter was bad. So mounting Shasta sounds much more challenging than I imagined, but I think it will be pretty cool if we reach the summit. In any case, it should be a good hike even if we don't make it to the top.

I'll update soon with photos and a report of our trip.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i know you all will have a great time! good luck...and be careful!

Anonymous said...

Just make sure you get pics of Tom being carried down the mountian on a stretcher.

Winston

L said...

Good luck! Be safe! I'm looking forward to a trip report.