Thursday, July 5, 2007

Red, White and Boom

This was our first year celebrating the Fourth of July downtown. I think last year we were at a wedding in Alaska. We watched the parade from our roof since the route goes down Front St. past our condo. The parade started with the Blue Angels doing a fly-by down Front St. It was so cool. I got chills when I saw them fly by and then bank and fly off into the clouds. The rest of the parade was the typical bands, floats etc... not quite as entertaining as the Doo Dah parade which this year included a guy dressed as Bush on a scooter with a sign that read, "Scooter Commuter".

The highlight of the night was, of course, the fireworks. Rob and I kayaked down the Scioto river with some friends and watched the fireworks from our kayaks. It was an amazing view! We were so close that the fireworks filled my entire field of vision, and I actually felt some of the fallout. Plus, it was really neat being on the river in the middle of downtown without having to deal with the crowds lining the riverbank. We are definitely going to try kayaking again next year.

No comments: